Originally known as the Regal Theatre in 1927, this iconic building has undergone major works and refurbishment to once again emerge as a popular hub for NSW’s Southern Highlands.
One of Australia’s original ‘Picture Show Men’, Harry and Bill Stevenson (brothers) built the historic country theatre back in 1927, carrying bricks from the nearby Bowral Brickworks on an old International truck with solid rubber on the rear wheels.
It officially opened in 1928. The Regal Theatre was once the entertainment hub of the heritage township of Mittagong, holding up to 800 people.
The original top four rows of the Theatre have been retained in the refurbishment.
Unfortunately, during the late 1950's and into the 1960's, television was making inroads into the viability of movie theatres. Many closed, including the Regal.
It was popular as a roller skating rink in the 70's and occasionally ran as an antique market. Then in 2000, it became home to Quaint Collectables, a teddy bear & doll shop, then a hobby & craft shop. It then became home to Blockbuster Video in 2004.
In 2010, local Accountant Deann Bramble and his brother Brett Bramble (business consultant) were approached with the idea of relocating their offices there and setting up a business centre.
Brett and Deann had been wanting to establish a hub of professional services for a while as they could see many efficiencies and advantages of having several professional service firms under one roof with the common goal of being the best and doing the best for their clients, all sharing meeting rooms, facilities and a common receptionist as required.
Talks progressed with the owners of ‘the Regal’ and CIPS Real Estate Agent in Bowral and local builder Jim Sell of Quality Country Homes was engaged to install a whole new second floor of offices, meeting rooms, restore the upper level of the original Regal Theatre to form a Seminar & Training Room and aesthetically enhance the entire building inside and out.
The concept of Regal Professional Centre was brought to life in 2011.